You are here:   Cambria > Military > Johnstown Civil War Monument > Page 3
Johnstown Civil War Monument

Information and photos provided by: Don Callihan

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3

 

Old Plaque OLD PLAQUE INSCRIPTION

1861 - 1965

54th PENNA. VOL.
COL. J. M. CAMPBELL
LT. COL. J. P. LINTON
MAJOR ENOCH YUTZY
ADJT. W. HORACE ROSE
-COMMITTEE-
W. H. FREDERICK       J. W. MOSTOLLER
WM. H. SANNER             D. G. McCULLOUGH
J. K. SPANGLER

 

New Plaque NEW PLAQUE INSCRIPTION

DEDICATED
TO THE MEMORY OF
THE UNION VETERANS
OF THE
CIVIL WAR 1861 - 1865
*   *  *  *
"Poor is the nation that has
no heroes * Shameful is the
one having them that forgets"

ERECTED 13 MAY 2000

 

Placcard

 

REPLACEMENT OF ORIGINAL GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC MONUMENT
TO THE 54TH REGIMENT PENNSYLVANIA VOLUNTEER INFANTRY

In April 1861 men from Cambria County were among the first Pennsylvanians to respond to Governor Curtin's Call to Arms. Thousands more Cambrians followed and served the Union in most battles and campaigns throughout the year.

The regiment most identified with Cambria County was the Fifty Fourth Pennsylvania Volunteers. Johnstown resident Jacob M. Campbell raised the regiment primarily in Cambria and Somerset Counties. The regiment provided invaluable service between 1862 and 1864 protecting the vital Baltimore and Ohio Railroad through hostile territory. In 1864 the regiment served at the heart of the Union Army in the Shenandoah Valley serving prominently in the battles of New Market, Piedmont, Lynchburg, Snickers Gap, 3rd Winchester, Fisher Hill, and Cedar Creek, among others. In 1865 the regiment fought out the war in front of Petersburg and in the Appomattox Campaign. The regiments' valor is symbolized by three medal of honor recipients:   James Snedden, John Mostoller and Thomas Evans.

For the majority of the twentieth century a monument erected by the surviving members of the 54th stood vigil at this spot over the city of Johnstown. Weather, floods and vandalism took its toll on the marble statue until the statue was destroyed and its remains removed. Following many years of fundraising the present figure, upon the original base and plaque, was rededicated by the Colonel Jacob M. Campbell Camp #14, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Mary Campbell Ladies Auxiliary and Sons of Veterans Reserve Company A, 54th Pennsylvania on November 11, 2000.


Last Updated:
Copyright © 2000-2002, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors