You are here:   Cambria > Townships

Click on a township on the map
- or -
Scroll down for an alphabetic
table of township web pages.

NOTE: This is not an accurate representation of Cambria County. All the boroughs are removed for the purpose of this "clickable" township map. Johnstown is a city, and not a township, but for the purpose of these web pages, we are separating Johnstown into it's own web page. For a more accurate township map that includes the boroughs and some towns, click here.

Township Page Webpage Host Formed
Adams Don Varner 5 Jan 1870, from portions of Richland Twp.
Allegheny Lynne Canterbury 1804-1807, Original Twp.
Barr Lynne Canterbury 4 Sep 1872, from portions of Blacklick, Cambria and Susquehanna Twps.
Blacklick George Warholic 10 Oct 1850, from portions of Cambria, Carroll and Jackson Twps.
Cambria Clark E. Creery 1804-1807, Original Twp.
Chest Lynne Canterbury 10 Dec 1853, from portions of White and Susquehanna Twps.
Clearfield Lynne Canterbury 31 Dec 1822, from portions of Allegheny Twp.
Conemaugh Lynne Canterbury 1804-1807, Original Twp.
Cresson Frank & Joyce Bates 4 Dec 1893, from portions of Washington Twp.
Croyle Sharon J. Trosan 9 Sep 1858, from portions of Summerhill Twp.
Dean Sandy Fontanella 10 Jul 1877, from portions of Clearfield Twp.
East Carroll Lynne Canterbury 1 Jan 1840 (Carroll Twp), from portions of Susquehanna Twp.
East Taylor Lynne Canterbury 7 Jul 1857 (Taylor Twp). On 2 Jun 1884, it was divided into East and West Taylor Twps.
Elder Janet Stumpf McCully 12 Feb 1878, from portions of Chest Twp.
Gallitzin Lynne Canterbury 4 Jun 1866, from portions of Allegheny Twp.
Jackson Lynne Canterbury 3 Jan 1828, from portions of Cambria and Summerhill Twps.
Johnstown Lynne Canterbury 3 Nov 1800, town laid out. Became a city 18 Dec 1889
Lower Yoder Lynne Canterbury 17 Jul 1858, (Yoder Twp. On 1 Sep 1879 it was divided into Lower & Upper Yoder Twps) from portions of Conemaugh Twp.
Middle Taylor Lynne Canterbury  
Munster Lynne Canterbury 9 Dec 1854, from portions of Allegheny, Cambria and Washington Twps.
Portage Lynne Canterbury 4 Mar 1878, from portions of Summerhill and Washington Twps.
Reade Trina Troxell Corson 1 Sep 1879, from portions of White Twp.
Richland Don Varner 2 Apr 1833, from portions of Conemaugh Twp.
Stonycreek Lynne Canterbury 4 Jan 1876, from portions of Conemaugh Twp.
Summerhill Lynne Canterbury 7 Feb 1810, from portions of Conemaugh Twp.
Susquehanna Marcia Fronk 6 Jan 1825, from portions of Allegheny and Cambria Twp.
Upper Yoder Lynne Canterbury 17 Jul 1858, (Yoder Twp. On 1 Sep 1879 it was divided into Lower & Upper Yoder Twps) from portions of Conemaugh Twp.
Washington Dave Monahan 1834, from portions of Allegheny, Cambria and Summerhill Twps.
West Carroll Janet Stumpf McCully 1 Jan 1840 (Carroll Twp), from portions of Susquehanna Twp.
West Taylor Lynne Canterbury 7 Jul 1857 (Taylor Twp). On 2 Jun 1884, it was divided into East and West Taylor Twps.
White Kenneth Stallard 6 Jul 1838, from portions of Clearfield Twp.

Ashville Taken from Gallitzin township 9 Mar 1887. The name came from the old Ashland Furnace, which was named in honor of "Ashland," the home of Henry Clay.
Barnesboro Taken from Susquehanna township 5 Mar 1893. It was named for Thomas Barnes, a coal operator. On 1 Jan 2000 it became part of Northern Cambria Borough.
Brownstown Taken from Lower Yoder township 10 Jun 1908.
Cambria Taken from Lower Yoder township 11 Oct 1861. Cambria borough consolidated with the city of Johnstown, 18 Dec 1889, becoming the 15th and 16th wards. It was named by James P. McConaughy, the founder.
Carrolltown Taken from Carroll township 30 Mar 1858, and was created by the consolidation of the villages of Carrolltown and Campbelltown. It was incorporated 19 Apr 1858 and included Campbell Town. It was named for Bishop John Carroll of Baltimore.
Cassandra Taken from Washington township 23 Sep 1908. It was incorporated 23 Sep 1908 and named for Cassandra Reade, who was the wife of George M. Reade, Esq., founder. It was originally called Darby when Reade laid out the lots in 1888.
Chest Springs Taken from Allegheny township 19 Apr 1858. It was incorporated 10 May 1858. The name came from Chest creek, located along the Kittaning Path.
Conemaugh Taken from Conemaugh township 12 Jan 1831. The name was changed to the borough of Johnstown 14 Apr 1834. It was named by Joseph Johns, the founder, for an old Indian town named Conemaugh. It included the first 7 wards of the city of Johnstown at the time of the consolidation, 18 Dec 1889. Conemaugh, the 2nd borough of that name, was taken from Conemaugh Township 23 Mar 1849. This borough also consolidated with the city of Johnstown, 18 Dec 1889, becoming the 9th and 10th wards.
Coopersdale Taken from Taylor township 7 Oct 1869. The borough was annexed to the city of Johnstown by ordinance dated 28 Mar 1898, and is the 21st ward. The borough was named for James Cooper.
Cresson Taken from Cresson township 7 Jun 1906.
Daisytown Taken from Conemaugh township 9 Jun 1893.
Dale Taken from Stony Creek township 9 Mar 1891.
East Conemaugh Taken from Taylor township 10 Sep 1868. The name is derived from the name of the railroad station Conemaugh; also from the fact that it was east of another borough named Conemaugh.
Ebensburg Ebensburg was founded by Rev. Rees Lloyd, and named for Ebenezer, Wales. Originally part of Cambria township. On 15 Jul 1825, it became the first borough incorporated in Cambria County. It was an early favored stop for stages and Conestoga wagons. On 1 May 1861, it was divided into two wards with Center Street being the dividing line. It came into prominence when it was established as the county seat. -- Contributed by Tony Ream.
Ehrenfeld Taken from Croyle township 3 Aug 1956.
Ferndale Taken from Upper Yoder township 1 Jun 1896. It was named by the Vickroy family on account of the luxuriant growth of ferns in that vicinity.
Franklin Taken from Conemaugh township 9 Mar 1868. It was named for the American philosopher and adopted citizen of Pennsylvania.
Gallitzin Taken from Gallitzin township 3 Dec 1873. The name was derived from Prince Gallitzin, otherwise Demetrius Augustine Gallitzin, the parish priest at Loretto.
Geistown Taken from Richland and Stony Creek townships 13 Jan 1930.
Grubbtown Taken from Upper Yoder township 8 Aug 1882. It consolidated with the city of Johnstown 18 Dec 1889 and was a part of the 8th ward. It was named for William Rinaldo Grubb.
Hastings Taken from Elder township, 16 Apr 1894. It was named for Governor Daniel Hartman Hastings.
Johnstown Taken from Conemaugh Borough 14 Apr 1834. The boroughs of Johnstown, Millville, Prospect, Cambria, Conemaugh, Woodvale & Grubbtown consolidated and became a 3rd class city 17 Dec 1899. It was named for Joseph Johns, the founder. When Johnstown became a city the former Johnstown Borough became the 3rd Ward of the city.
Lilly Taken from Washington township 11 Jun 1883. It was named for the Lilly family.
Lorain Taken from Stony Creek township 23 Sep 1914.
Loretto Taken from Allegheny township 8 Mar 1845. It was named for a village on the Adriatic Sea.
Millville Taken from Taylor township 16 Jul 1858. It became part of Johnstown 18 Dec 1889, 13th & 14th wards. It was named from the mills of the Cambria Iron Company, which became the Cambria Steel Company.
Morrellville Taken from Lower Yoder township 8 Oct 1890. It became part of Johnstown 18 Dec 1889, 18th, 19th & 20th wards. It was named for Daniel Johnston Morrell.
Nanty Glo Nanty Glo is located on the Blacklick/Jackson Twp. line, along Rt. 271. There was talk in the newspapers as early as March 1900 about making Nant-y-Glo a borough separate from Blacklick Township. The Court was petitioned 24 Jul 1817 by 210 residents and it was incorporated 2 Sep 1918, being formed from one voting precinct of Blacklick Twp. and the adjoining area of Jackson Twp. For those who wonder why Blacklick had a 1st and 3rd voting ward, Nant-y-Glo was the 2nd ward before incorporation. The area was settled in the 1890's and, in 1896, there were 13 houses, 7 on the Blacklick side and 6 on the Jackson side. It is a Welsh name meaning "Streams of Coal". -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Northern Cambria Created 1 Jan 2000 by merging Barnesboro and Spangler boroughs.
Patton Taken from Carroll, Chest, Clearfield & Elder townships 4 Sep 1893. It was named for John Patton of Curwensville.
Portage Taken from Portage township 7 Oct 1890. It was named for the "portage" between the Conemaugh & Juniata rivers, in connection with the Allegheny Portage railroad.
Prospect Taken from Taylor township 9 Dec 1863. It consolidated with the city of Johnstown 18 Dec 1899, making up the 12th ward. The name was derived from its elevated position overlooking Johnstown.
Rosedale Taken from West Taylor township 17 Dec 1894. It was named for Allen Rose. Rosedale became part of the 14th Ward of Johnstown in 1918.
Roxbury Taken from Upper Yoder township 12 Mar 1893. Became part of Johnstown 2 Jan 1901, making up part of the 8th ward.
Sankertown Taken from Cresson township, 11 Jun 1906. It was named for Joseph Sanker.
Scalp Level Taken from Richland township, 16 Nov 1898.
South Fork Taken from Croyle township 3 Aug 1887. The name came from the south branch of the Little Conemaugh river.
Southmont Taken from Upper Yoder township 2 Jun 1919.
Spangler Taken from Susquehanna township 13 Nov 1893. It was named for Col. J. L. Spangler. On 1 Jan 2000 Spangler became part of Northern Cambria Borough.
Summerhill Taken from Croyle township 6 Sep 1892.
Summitville Taken from Washington township 30 Apr 1851. The name was derived from the summit of the Allegheny Portage Railroad. This borough was abandoned, being desolved 5 Jun 1882 and returned to Washington township.
Tunnelhill Taken from Gallitzin township 5 Dec 1876. It was named for the two railroad tunnels there at the time.
Vintondale Vintondale is located in Jackson Twp. along SR 11094. The mines located across Blacklick Creek were in Blacklick Township. Old records and newspaper articles almost always considered Vintondale in Blacklick Township, even though it wasn't. It was started in 1889 and it was incorporated 4 Sep 1908. Prior to 1846, Ritter & Irvin built a furnace and were producing iron ore here. Later the Vinton Lumber Company was in action by 1870, and the area was known as Barker City due to to the fact that the Barker family owned a lot of land in the area. Coal mining started about 1890 and the town was named in honor of Judge Augustine Vinton Barker. It was a company town controlled by the Lacawanna Coal & Coke Co. in 1902 and by the Vinco Coal and Coke Co. later on. The Delano family had interests here. They were related to President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. There were many mines operating in the area in the early part of the century. This lasted thru ups and downs until the middle of the century, when the industry died. The last coal mine to operate in the area was, ironically, a small hand-loading coal mine operated by Steve Lonesky. They were hand-loading like what was done in the 1800's, and pulling pillars from an older existing mine. It was finished by mudslides, closing the opening from the same rains that caused the Johnstown Flood of 1977. During the 1920's, there was a labor trouble as non-union workers tried to organize a union. Otto Hoffman was mine superintendent. The Ritter Furnace, or as it was better known, the Eliza Furnace (named for Eliza Schoenberger), an early leader in the iron industry. It is being preserved and is a park today. Vintondale had the first community high school in the Blacklick Valley area. There were four daily trains running in 1902. B. W. Shaffer built the first planning mill; the old company store burned in 1943; the first post office was in 1895 with J. M. Jones as postmaster; and George Blewitt was the first burgess. -- Contributed by Des Wetzel
Westmont Taken from Upper Yoder township 13 Jun 1892.
Wilmore Taken from Summerhill township 10 Feb 1859. It was named for Bernard & John Wilmore, the founders.
Woodvale Taken from Taylor township 4 Jul 1870. It consolidated with the city of Johnstown 18 Dec 1899, becoming the 11th ward. The name came from Murray's grove, a picnic ground located there until after the Civil War.

Towns / Communities
Adams Blacklick Adams is located in Blacklick Twp. along SR 11107, and adjacent to the Indiana County line. Today, there is nothing left except for the remains of a few old foundations. It was named for several Adams families that lived there. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Adams Crossing Blacklick Adams Crossing is located in Blacklick Twp. along SR 11107. It is in the process of disappearing as this rail line is now abandoned and is a possible candidate for the Rails to Trails program. Adjoins the North Branch of Blacklick Creek and was a locally popular swimming place prior to its destruction by the 1872 flood. Stephens Run flows into Blacklick Creek at this point. Up this run about 1/4 mile, is the stone breastwork of the old William and later John Bracken mill which was the first sawmill in Blacklick Twp. Though descendents of, this William Bracken is not to be confused with the William Bracken mill in Westmoreland, later to be Indiana County, in 1773. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Allendale Croyle A coal company Patch town that was associated with Allendale Mines. It was a company town. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Allport Susquehanna This was a coal patch town associated with the Allport Mines. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Amsbry Gallitzin Was founded in 1819 by W. W. Amsbury and Mr. Spindley, who were employed primarily in the lumber and mining fields.
Bakers Crossroad East Carroll Formerly called Buzzardstown. Possibly associated with Robert Baker who had Bakerton named after him. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Bakerton West Carroll Bakerton was founded by the Sterling Coal Company, ca. 1889. It was named for Col. Robert Baker and John Holton, presidents of the company. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Barnes West Carroll Thomas Barnes formed Barnes and Tucker Mines, ca. 1880's. Barnesboro was their headquarters. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Beaver Valley White  
Beaverdale Summerhill In 1895, it was named for the abundant supply of beavers in Beaver Run Creek. The first settlers were lumberman and trappers. Beaverdale was a coal patch town associated with Beaver Run Coal Co. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Belmont Richland  
Belsano Blacklick Belsano is located in Blacklick Twp. at the intersection of Rt. 271 & Rt. 422. It is the oldest town in the township, being founded about 1830. It is named for a town in Italy. A popular lore about the name is that a young girl named Belle was asked by a man to marry him. Her parents did not approve and told her "Belle say no."

Early settlers were Edwards, Merton, Reed, Empfield, Adams, Sharbaugh, Hites, and Duncan. The original school burned down in 1849 and school was held temporarily in the former Gressley building. A new school was later built by the E.U.B. church. When closed, this was moved uptown to be used as a store by Isaac Michaels. George Empfield had an undertaking establishment on South Street in 1893. Ben Stiles had a livery stable near the intersection (South Street and Ft. 422). Sharbaugh had a blacksmith shop; John Hite owned a hotel, and Henry Goldberg owned a store at the west end of town in 1890. The Odd Fellows had their hall above Merton Edwards store. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Belsano Crossing Blacklick  
Belsano Station Blacklick Belsano Station was located along the railroad tracks directly across from the old Blacklick Township High School. At one time, it was the intention to bring students in by train daily from Ebensburg, Colver, Revloc, Nant-y-Glo, and surrounding areas to the Reade Area Vocational School. This did not work out and the school was turned into a public high school. The school was built in 1917. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Bethel Blacklick Bethel is located in Blacklick Twp. at the intersection of Rt. 422 and Cardiff Road. The more proper name is Pindleton, which is the old Post Office name; however, due to the presence of the Bethel Baptist Church, the name Bethel seems to have taken hold. It was founded with a church in 1833 by Rev. Williams. Many of the settlers were Welsh and came from the old Beulah settlement. Some of the early settlers were Enoch Reese, sawmill operator; Thomas Davies; Isaac Mahan; Isaac Wissinger; Jeff Rowland; and John Jones, sawmill operator. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Beulah Cambria Beulah was founded by Rev. Morgan Rees (Rhys) of Philadelphia. It was settled by the Welsh in Jun 1796, and named after the song, "Sweet Land of Beulah".
Big Bend Blacklick Big Bend was located in Blacklick Twp. along Rt. 271. It was the area in the center of Expedit (Twin Rocks) and was named for the big bend (180 degrees) in the South Branch of Blacklick Creek there. It was a town with stores and a movie theater at one time. It was also known for the Big Bend Coal Mine which operated there until the 1950's. It covered the area from about St. Charles Church to KNAPICS Tavern. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Big Lick   Later known as Salt Well.
Blandburg Reade This was formerly known as Figart or Bumblebee, and named for Fred Bland. This was established by 1890 when the Cambria Fire Brick Company was founded. Initially, 50% of the town was owned by that company. Its history centers around the refractory brickyard centers. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Bloughville Stonycreek Twp. Now called Riverside.
Blue Goose Barr  
Bon Air Conemaugh Located east of Franklin.
Bracken Blacklick Bracken, incorporated in 1903, is located in Blacklick Twp. along SR 11094, the Twin Rocks-Vintondale Road. It was across the Blacklick Creek at this point and a little downstream towards Vintondale. Today the area is called Bracken Dip, for the dip in the highway. Through this dip is a little stream called Bracken Run and older maps show a Bracken house further up the streatm. It is believed to have gotten its name from this family. Around the turn of the century, the town of Bracken was built to supply housing for the miners at the Bracken Mine or, more correctly, Commercial #4 Mine. There was an artesian well to supply water to the town.

Today nothing remains but a few old foundations and a road access to the rails-to-trails through this area. Some early families were the Juba's; Sam Kish; George Kreashko; Pete Cramer; Adam Barr; and the Palkos.

There was a one room school house that the teacher rode in on the train every day from Ebensburg. There was a company store in town, and Dr. Prideaux was the town doctor who came every day from Twin Rocks to check out the residents.

Amelio Rubbo of Twin Rocks said that when he built the building at the Vintondale "Y" in the early 1940's the basement foundation stones were from the old foundation in Bracken.-- Contributed by Des Warze
Bradley Junction Allegheny  
Brownstown East Taylor Twp. Incorporated in June 1908.
Brookdale Gallitzin  
Buckhorn Gallitzin Located east of Ashville.
Buckhorn Grange Summerhill  
Bumblebee Reade One of the original names for Figart and Blandburg.
Buzzardstown East Carroll Now Bakers Crossroad
Campbell Town Carrolltown Borough Incorporated with Carrolltown, 19 Apr 1858.
Canada   Village located near Johnstown.
Cardiff Blacklick Cardiff is located in Blacklick Twp. at the intersection of SR 11109 & SR 11032. Cardiff was a coal mining town and earlier associated with the timber industry. It was built on land owned by Ellsworth Rowland when the coal was developed in 1901. There was a sawmill/railroad operated there until 1923 by Webster Griffith. During the 1940's and 1950's, there was a compny store, school, and a water company. After the Imperial Coal Co. mine was closed, everything else closed and Cardiff has become a residential community. It was named for Cardiff, Wales, because of a similarity to the coal there. Contributed by Des Warzel
Carrolltown Road West Carroll  
Chappells Hill   Located near Portage and named for an early settler.
Charlies Grove Blacklick  
Chickaree Jackson Named for the red squirrel which are plentiful there.
Colver Cambria Town was named for B. Dawson Coleman & John H. Weaver, in 1909. Both men, from eastern Pennsylvania, owned several Cambria County mines.
Concrete Bridge Crossing Blacklick  
Condron Dean Twp. Locatted north of Dysert and south of Dean.
Coopersdale Johnstown Coopersdale was taken from Taylor Township on 7 Oct 1898. It was annexed to Johnstown on 28 Mar 1898. It was named for James Cooper. This was once known as Perkinsville. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Coupon Gallitzin Was formerly called Delaney after a pioneer family. It was named for the coupons and script that miners were paid with.
Cover Hill Conemaugh Named for Adam Cover (1781 - 1856) who purchased 150 acres in this area in 1813. -- Storey's History of Cambria County, Vol. 1, p. 542
Creslo Adams  
Cresson Springs   Dr. C. M. Jackson, physician and founder, named it after Eliott Cresson, who was a well-known philanthropist of Phadelphia.
Cymbria Susquehanna This was probably named after a coal company by the same name. It is also a county in NW England.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Delaney Gallitzin Named for a pioneer family. Now called Coupon.
Daugherty Dean This was a coal producing town that derived its name from the Daugherty Coal Co. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Dean Dean  
Dogtown Blacklick Dogtown was located on the old road from Twin Rocks over Kelly Hill to Bracken Dip. It was located on the hillside above the town of Bracken and was supposed to be where the homes of the bosses and superintendent of the mine were locaed. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Driscoll Allegheny  
Dunlo Adams The first house was established about 1861 by Jacob Wendel. A saw mill was originally erected; however, the town's prominence would be as a mining town. Dunlo was officially established about 1891. The named was selected by Thomas Donahoe, with the basis of the name being Irish. It was a mining town that was heavily settled by immigrants. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Dysart Dean A coal patch town, named after the Dysart Coal Company. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Dysertown Cresson  
Ebensburg Cambria  
Ebensburg Junction Munster This is located at the intersection of PA 164 and old route 22 (also known as the Admiral Peary Highway. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Echo East Taylor  
Eckenrode Mill East Carroll  
Edwards Crossing Blacklick Edwards Crossing is located in Blacklick Twp. along SR 11036, more commonly known as the Colver of "Snake" Road. It is about 2 miles from the Nicktown Road and is the first railroad crossing that you find. It was named for the Edwards family who owned the property in that area years ago. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Eleanor Blacklick Located in Blacklick Twp. along Cardiff Road between the Greek Catholic Cemetery and the water tower. It was the site of the C&I Railroad yard for several years. During August 1923, construction was started on 10 houses by the C&I Railroad. In January, 1924, the houses were 90% complete, and were waiting on spring to finish the streets and put in the wells for water. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Elder Clearfield  
Elstie Gallitzin  
Elton Adams  
Emeigh Susquehanna  
Expedite Blacklick Expedite was located in Blacklick Twp. on Rt. 271 and is now Twin Rocks. It was the old Post Office name for Twin Rocks and Big Bend. The post office in 1896 would not allow two-name post offices, so the name Twin Rocks was changed to Expedite in 1896. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Fallentimber Reade This is located near the center of Pennsylvania on PA route 53. It is named after the Fallentimber Coal Co.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Fiddlers Green Portage The name was derived from an elderly man who would go into the green pastures to play his violin.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Figart Reade One of original names for Bumblebee and Blandburg.
Fiske White  
Flinton Reade  
Frugality Reade This coal patch town was named for the Frugality Coke and Coal Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Garmantown Susquehanna  
Germantown Portage This was originally referred to as Dutch Settlement due to the misunderstanding of the pronunciation of the word "Deutsch", meaning German. Eventually, this changed to German Settlement. It finally became known by its current name of Germantown.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Glasgow Reade This is a coal patch town named for the Glasgow Coal Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Glen Glade Blacklick Glen Glade was the post office name at Nant-y-Glo, which was on the Jackson Township side of the creek at that time. The Blacklick side, prior to 1918, was more important as that was where the railroad and train station were located. -- Contributed By Des Warzel
Glendale Dam White  
Goods Corner East Taylor  
Greenfield Gallitzin  
Greenwich Susquehanna Another coal patch town, this one was named for Greenwich Coke and Coal Co.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Griffithtown Blacklick Griffithtown is located in Blacklick Twp. along the Twin Rocks/Cardiff Road, renamed Expedite Road after the 1911 renaming of streets. It was built because of a sawmill being built by Webster Griffith. He also built several miles of railroad to haul for his sawmill. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Highland Fling Dean  
Hoguetown Cresson  
Hollentown Reade Hollentown is a coal patch town named in honor of John Hollen who settled at the site of the town in about 1864.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Hornerstown Johnstown This was named in honor of Jacob C. Horner.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Ingleside Richland Ingleside was named after the Ingleside Coal Co.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Ivison Blacklick Ivison is located in Blacklick Twp. and is along Route T497. It was founded about 1860 and there was much lumbering. Later, the area gave way to farming. Early settlers were Michael Stiles, Andrew Marsh, Joseph Hines, and Abe Longnecker. Mail was delivered three times a week from Strongtown. There was also a school here. Contributed by Des Warzel
Jamestown Portage This was named after the James Family.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Jones Portal Cambria  
Kaylor Munster This was named after that the Kaylor family who resided in this area.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Kernville Johnstown This was named for a family that owned tracts of land in the Johnstown city area.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Krayn Adams  
Llanfair Adams Llanfair is adjacent to Dunlo, on an opposite hillside, and separated by a stream. The town was formed at approximately the same time as Dunlo. This, also, was a mining town, and heavily settled by immigrants. Its name is an abbreviated form of a town in Wales. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Lloydell Summerhill This, as well as Lloydville, was named for the Loydell Coal Mining Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Lloydville Reade This is a coal patch town that derived its name from the Lloydell Coal Mining Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Lonely Acres East Carroll  
Long Run Susquehanna This name was taken from a local creek during the early lumbering era.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Longs Crossroad White  
Lovett Station Croyle  
Lower Dutchtown Washington  
Lucket Munster  
Marsteller Barr This is a coal patch town that derived its name from the Marstellar mines. This has also been referred to as "Moss Creek".- Contributed by Tony Ream
Martindale Portage This was named for the coal pioneer, J. C. Martin, of the J. C. Martin Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Maudy Hill Portage This was named after the Maudy family.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Miller Portage  
Mineral Point East Taylor This is a coal patch town named after the Mineral Point Coal Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Minersville Middle Taylor  
Morrellville Johnstown This was named for prominent Johnstown businessman and Congressional Representative, Daniel J. Morrell. As a borough, it was annexed to Johnstown on 29 Jul 1898.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Moshannon Washington This was named for the Moshannon Mines.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Mountaindale Reade  
Moxham Johnstown The impetus to form this area of Johnstown came from the Johnstown Steel Street Rail Company. It was established in 1931, being named after the company president, Arthur J. Moxham.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Mudtown Blacklick Mudtown was located in Blacklick Twp., on old road from Belsano area to Vintondale. This was a turn-of-the-century road. Mudtown now only exists as some old building foundations to the side of the road. It is now a dirt road that starts at the Dave Adams residence and goes thru the State Game lands toward Vintondale. Mudtown was close to the Adam's property and is mentioned in their deed. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Mundys Corner Jackson  
Munster Munster Munster was founded by Edward V. James in 1808. It was primarily an Irish settlement. -- Contributed by Tony Ream.
Mylo Park Cambria  
Nagles Crossroad Clearfield  
Nanty-Glo Station Blacklick Located in Blacklick Twp., Nanty-Glo Station was a railway station located at Nanty-Glo during the early railroad days. The station was at the site of the current Cable TV office next to the Fire Hall. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Nettleton Blacklick Nettleton was located in Blacklick Twp. It was the old post office name for Cardiff. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
New Germany Croyle  
Newtown Conemaugh  
Nicktown Barr Nicktown was named after Nicholas Lambmor.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Nine Row Cambria This is a section of Colver, established by Coleman and Weaver Mining Company as housing for its mine supervisors. It reflects the number of structures established there.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Nipton Blacklick Nipton was located in Blacklick Twp. on Red Mill Road, and was also known as Red Mill. At one time, the area had several mills and a stone quarry. Today, it is residential with several hunting camps. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Noel Munster  
North Barnesboro Susquehanna This was named for Thomas Barnes who was involved in the mining industry.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Number 37 Richland This was founded about 1897 by the Berwind and White Coal Mining Company of Philadelphia. It was also known as Eureka 37, and, in more recent times, simply referred to as Mine 37.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Oakhurst Johnstown  
Oakland Johnstown  
Oil City Portage  
Onnalinda Summerhill This was a coal patch town associated with the Loyalhanna Coke and Coal Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Parkhill East Taylor Parkhill was named after the Park Hill Coal Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Parkstown Conemaugh Its name was derived from the Parkstown Coal Mining Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Pindleton Blacklick Pindleton is located in Blacklick Twp. along Rt. 422 at the intersection with Cardiff Road. It is more commonly known as Bethel due to the presence of the Bethel Baptist Church that is located at that intersection. It was once the post office for the area as shown on Calwell's 1890 map of the township. The area was known for many years for the Pindleton Fire Tower which had been located there to watch for forest fires. -- Contrbuted by Des Warzel
Pine Grove Allegheny  
Plane Bank Washington  
Plattsville Susquehanna  
Pleasant Hill Middle Taylor Its name was derived from the Pleasant Hill Mining Company. -- Contributed by Tony Ream
Preisser Crossing Barr Preisser Crossing is located along Snake Road at the bottom of the hill below the Colver mine. Named for an 1890's school located near there. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Puritan Portage Puritan was named after the Puritan Mining Company.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Ragleyville Blacklick Ragleyville is located along Rt. 271 between Nanty-Glo and Twin Rocks. It was named for the Ragley family who lived there at one time. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Red Mill Blacklick Red Mill is located in Blacklick Twp. next to the Indiana County line. It was also known as Nipton; however, Red Mill seems to be the more popular of the two names. It was, at one time, known as Duncans Red Mills. There was a sawmill and a grist mill. Popular belief today is that the names comes from the reddish color of the water due to mine water pollution upstream. However, the truth is that the mills were painted red to distinguish them from the other Duncan-owned mills further upstream. The railroad in this area has been removed. Commercial #16 Mine was located here, which tied into the Big Bend and Bracken mines. There was a clay mine in the late 1930's and a sand quarry during the early 1940's. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Redbird Portage This was named after a company by the same name (possibly a coal company).- Contributed by Tony Ream
Regan Junction Blacklick  
Reillys East Carroll  
Revloc Cambria The founders of Colver opened a second mine near the town. It was named by reversing the name of the first town. Revloc was founded in 1917. This and Colver area company towns. - Contributed by Tony Ream
Richland Dean  
Riverside Stonycreek Twp. Formerly called Bloughville.
Rockville Croyle  
Roxbury Johnstown In his original plan for the city, Joseph Johns designated this general area for the use of the public as a park, and came to be known as Roxbury Park. With the establishment of Luna Park, the area was called by that name. Luna Park reached its apex in the early 1900's. With the decline of this part, it was purchased by the City of Johnstown on 7 Jul 1922. Eventually, the area became a public park once again, with the name reverting to Roxbury Park. It was incorporated as a borough on 12 Mar 1894.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Salix Adams  
Salt Well   Originally known as Big Lick.
Scarlan Hill Washington  
Seldersville Blacklick Seldersville was located in Blacklick Twp. along Rt. 271. It no longer exists except as a local name for older residents. It was in an area today known as Long's Corner in Twin Rocks. It was named for Frank Selders who operated a store in the old house formerly occupied by Hank Lanzendorfer. It is now the emplty lot, second on the right, above Long's Corner in Twin Rocks. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Shaft Portage  
Shazen Susquehanna  
Shiffer Town Blacklick Shiffer Town was/is located on the Twin Rocks/Cardiff Road in the area just past the Lanzendorfer Coal Yard. There is in the area between the present Gus Lanzendorfer and Raphael Burkey residence. The homes were built for the miners of the Shiffer Mine, and named for the operator, William Shiffer. The house now occupied by George (Gus) Lanzendorfer was the home and office for Mr. Shiffer. During the 1920's when Mr. Shiffer was a township supervisor, it was also used for the township meetings. The mine was located on the hill across the road from the houses. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Shoemaker Portage This was named after the Shoemaker family who lived in the area.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Sidman Croyle  
Slickport Elder  
Sonman Portage This was named after the family of Arent Sonman.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Soukesburg Croyle  
Spindley City Gallitzin  
Spring Hill Portage  
St. Augustine Clearfield  
St. Benedict West Carroll  
St. Boniface Elder  
St. Lawrence Chest  
St. Michael Adams  
Summerhill Croyle  
Summit Cresson  
Swedetown Elder  
Syberton Gallitzin  
Thomas Mills Chest  
Tripoli Cambria  
Tunnelhill Gallitzin  
Twenty Row Cambria This is a section of Colver, established by Coleman and Weaver Mining Company as housing for its mine supervisions. It reflects the number of structures established there.- Contributed by Tony Ream
Twin Rocks Blacklick Twin Rocks was supposedly started in 1875 and named for 2 large stones in the Blacklick Creek near the railroad cut. I believe this is incorrect for two reasons. first, the 1890 map of the area shows only one resident area. Second, since the railroad and mines did not come into play until the mid 1890's, the town probably did not either. In 1893-94, when the railroad was being extended to Vintondale, the rocks were dislodged, but into building stones, and used in the Rockville Bridge across the Susquehanna near Harrisburg. In 1894, the first coal was taken from the Waner Mine in Twin Rocks.

The town was originally named Twin Rocks in 1895, but, in 1896, the Post Office was started and, since it would not at that time allow two-word names, it was renamed Expedite. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Twin Roads Station Blacklick Twin Roads Station was located in Blacklick Two, along Rt. 271, at the Vintondale "Y'". The station was for the railroad. Neither the station nor the railroad exist today. Thw town is now called Twin Rocks. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Upper Dutchtown Washington  
Van Ormer Reade  
Vetera Barr  
Vinco Jackson  
Walnut Grove Johnstown  
Walsall Richland  
Watkins Barr  
Weber Blacklick Weber was the old name for Bracken. It was also called Webers Siding. I have found it listed on a US Geological map and it was the name on the application for the Bracken Post Office, but was crossed out and replaced with Bracken. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Wesley Chapel East Taylor  
West Branch Susquehanna  
West Point East Taylor  
White Mill Blacklick White Mill is located in Blacklick Twp. along Rt. 422 in the dip where it crosses Blacklick Creek. It was named due to a flour grist mill that was operated by Jacob S. Bennett. There were also mills operated first by the Duncan's, then jointly as Duncan and Smathers in the 1920's.Contributed by Des Warzel
White Mill Crossing Allegheny  
White Mill Station Blacklick White Mill Station was located north of Rt. 422 where the C&I railroad splits to go to Colver, Vintondale, and Adams Crossing. The station and the rails are now gone. -- Contributed by Des Warzel
Wilmore Heights Summerhill  
Winterset Cambria  
Wissingertown Conemaugh  
Woodvale Johnstown Woodvale was incorporated in 1899. It was annexed to Johnstown and became the 11th Ward. -- Contributed by Tony Ream